15th April 2014 - Shenstone

The sunny weather continued and I started today's visit to the patch at Stanklyn Lane.  Walking the outside edge of Stanklyn Wood I recorded 2♂ Brimstone butterflies, 3 Orange Tip (2♂, 1♀), 1 Peacock and 1 Small Tortoiseshell.  In the gallops field the flower heads of  Ribwort Plantain were starting to show. 

Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata)















Along Butts Lane I heard my first patch Willow Warbler of the year singing from the scrub opposite the entrance to Eastfields Farm.  At the farm itself a pair of Swallows had returned and were zipping around the farm yard and disused barns

The days highlight though came from Witch Lane where an incredible 14 Common Buzzards were soaring high up on the thermals (and no I don't mean of the under garment variety!)

I finished the rounds on Heath Lane where a number Nursery Web Spiders were observed amongst the tall vegetation of the roadside verges.

Nursery Web Spider (Pisaura mirabilis)



2 comments:

  1. Aha! So that was what I saw today - A Nursery web Spider, I had wondered what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of service mate! ;-)

    ReplyDelete