Tuesday 16th October 2012 - Wyre Forest

I think many of my fellow birders and wildlife bloggers would agree that this autumn has been an odd one to say the least.  Certainly in Worcestershire it has been very poor for some common passage migrants let alone scarcities and rarities.  Things have been no different at Shenstone of late so I decided that I would spend my outdoors time doing a few different local walks looking at one of Autumns highlights...fungi.




For today's outing I decided to visit the Worcestershire side of the Wyre Forest.  I walked partially along the disused railway line, through Town Coppice through the orchard at Lodge Hill through Knowles Coppice and back along Dowles Brook.  I can honestly say that in terms of bird life it was the most unproductive visit I have ever had in the Wyre.  I didn't even see one of the resident Dippers today.

Thankfully I was focusing on the fungi today which was a more productive affair.  The highlight of which was seeing some lovely examples of Scarlet Waxcap in the orchard.  Other fungi of interest during my walk included Amethyst Deceiver, Birch Knight, Glistening Inkcap, Orange Peel and Stagshorn.

Scarlet Waxcaps (Hygrocybe coccinea)
















Orange Peel Fungus (Aleuria aurantia)















Birch Knight (Tricholoma fulvum)

3 comments:

  1. Cracking fungi shots Jase. I agree with what you say about the poor autumn passage in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bit of colour, really nice pics, it's good to have other stuff to look at when there aren't many birds about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean - Cheers mate. One of the worst birding years I have ever known!

    Alan - Thanks...I couldnt agree more

    ReplyDelete