Tuesday 18th September 2012 - Shenstone

There air felt very cool this morning (and not in a The Fonz way), it really did feel positively autumnal.

At Stanklyn Lane there were small signs of movement with a both a Hobby and a Swallow over heading SW.  Also 2 Skylarks flew over heading West and 4 Mistle Thrushes heading WNW.  A Chiffchaff was in song along the lane, a Jay was present in the paddock and 3 Common Buzzards were up soaring.

At Heath Lane paddock there was a Common Buzzard on the fence posts and a ♀ Kestrel hovering over the adjacent field.  A flock of 15 Linnets flew over heading East and 7 Swallows were also present.

At Witch Lane the Lapwing numbers had increased to 76 Lapwing.  I have taken some rather poor footage panning across to give an idea of the size of the flock (windy conditions are not very conducive to digi-scoped videos).  Also noted at this location were 1 Kestrel, 2 Stock Doves and a charm of 8 Goldfinch.  A single Swallow flew through heading South.

My final stop was Back Lane where I recorded my only butterfly of the day, a single Red Admiral that was feeding on the Ivy flowers.  1 Mistle Thrush and 2 Linnets were on the telegraph wires.

Lapwing Flock (record footage)

7 comments:

  1. Had my first moving Skylarks @ the weekend Jase. Can`t imagine much stuff (if anything) moving this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good flock of Lapwing there Jason, it certainly did look windy. It seems more like November than September to me at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to agree with you Dean...the forcast isnt looking great

    Jan, it was proper blustery hence the wobble cam ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for a Lapwing here before the months end Jase, it'll most likey only be a fly over though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fairly lucky on that front asI often get autumn/winter flocks on my patch and occasionally they bring in a Golden Plover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`ll have to eat my words Jase. The rain dumped a Grey Phal on the Old Moor today !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just goes to show Dean! Smart little birds Grey Phals!

    ReplyDelete