Saturday 7th January 2011 - Shenstone

After escaping from doing the shopping with my better half this afternoon I managed to get down to the patch to do my first proper visit of the year.  I decided to prioritise much of my time on the Stanklyn Lane area. 

First up I walked accessible edge of Stanklyn Wood in the hope of catching up with some of the patch's woodland specialities.  The walk produced notables in the form of a Nuthatch, 2 Goldcrests, 6 Long-tailed Tits, 16 Chaffinch, a Redwing and a Common Buzzard.

Stanklyn Lane paddocks were absolutely chuffing with birds with 78 Fieldfare, 4 Redwing, c.100 Starling and 2 Green Woodpeckers present.

As a stark contrast Heath Lane paddock was very quiet with only 1 Redwing, 4 Linnets and a Robin recorded.

My final stop was Witch Lane where 12 Cormorants could be seen perched in the trees at the back of Willow Marsh Fishery.  Also noted in the Witch Lane area were 2 Kestrels, 17 Fieldfare and 8 Black-headed Gulls.

By the time I had finished the light was going so I decided to leave doing a Butts Lane Walk and visiting Captains Pool to another day.  Still a nice mix of everyday birds for the patch year list.

Green Woodpecker - 7th January 2012

7 comments:

  1. The Green Woodpecker always gets my votes, beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice mix of birds indeed Jason and a great Green Woodpecker image!

    Escaping from the shopping...tut, tut.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green Woodpeckers always look so guilty, I think, and then they fly off - so they must be.

    For all the bulky stuff we've opted for on-line shopping lately, Jason - for three quid it all gets delivered right to the kitchen table by Mr Tesco. Cheaper than driving there and back nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I`ve not seen a Green Pecker since November, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob - Cheers...they are smart looking birds

    Pam - Thanks. Ssssh, don't mention the 'S' word

    Rob - You are right there

    Dean - Do you not get Green pecker regular on your patch? They breed just of Stanklyn Lane so are pretty much ever present on my patch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rather more birds there, than here Jase, Whats the Shenstone patch list up to so far then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Green Peckers were regular, but lately they seem to be a bit hit & miss.

    ReplyDelete