Sunday 11th September 2011 - Shenstone

I started my tour of the patch along Butts Lane today.  Eastfields Farm was very quite but for 12 House Martin and a single Common Swift over.  

Further up the way at Barrs Lane I heard the flight call of, and managed to see, a single Tree Pipit that flew over heading South East.  This is the first patch record of this bird so I was dead chuffed.  In all honestly there are probably a number go over on Autumn passage ... I really should get out to the patch at dawn to do a bit of vis-mig through the season.  The only other birds of note in this area was a single Kestrel perched on a hay bale and a Corn Bunting in the brassica field.

At Stanklyn Lane paddocks there were 17 Pied Wagtails and 9 Swallows present.  

A Kestrel, 2 Common Buzzards and c.60 Greenfinch were present along Witch Lane.

I didn't manage to get any bird pics today so here is a photo I took of some lichen & ivy on a dead tree along Butts Lane...

 



Click on image to enlarge

6 comments:

  1. The Lichen and a Ivy on day like today, it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your first patch Tree Pipit, Jason. Yeah, the hour or so after first light is great for viz-migging. The hour prior to dusk on a clear night can also be productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Bob...I just love the colours.

    Thanks Dean...I just struggle to get out that early, unless my other half is day offwork. I've got an eaderley German Shepherd who has to have his heart tablets an hour before food etc...is a nightmare to get him mobving before 8:30!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a god record of the Tree Pipit Jase, only ever had one here, but I'm sure ive missed one or two going over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there are probably a lot more going over than we really appreciate...it's just they don't get picked up

    ReplyDelete