Wednesday 29th June 2011 - Wyre Forest

After I had finished my mornings voluntary work at Forest Dog Rescue, I decided to pop to the rocket test facility in the Wyre Forest to undertake a butterfly walk.  It turned out to be a very productive walk (and not just for butterflies).

On the walk along the rides I saw my first Painted Lady of the year.  I also recorded single Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and a lovely Silver-washed FritillaryRinglets were the most abundant species of butterfly with numbers over 100+.  They were followed by Meadow Browns of which I counted c.20.  Interestingly enough I only had 2 Speckled Wood during the walk.

One of the highlights of today's walk was seeing a party of 5 Common Crossbills that flew over calling, heading towards Button Oak.  I also heard a single Wood Warbler singing and a Tree Pipit during the walk.

It wasn't just birds and butterflies that I encountered whilst here.  Along one ride was a stunning Fox padding around with his Rufus coat looking rather resplendent in the sunlight.  If that wasn't enough In the wooded area on the way back to the car park I had 4 stag Fallow Deer sat under a tree in the shade.  What a great couple of hours spent in the forest.

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary













No comments:

Post a Comment