Tuesday 14th June 2011 - Shenstone

I decided to mix it up a bit today and spend some time looking at what butterflies and other insects were around Stanklyn Lane.

I started by walking the footpath around the 'gallops field' where I counted 9 Skylarks all up in the air at one point.  Another Skylark was seen on the ground with a beak full of insects.  I also recorded 14 Meadow Brown butterflies here.

I then went and checked out the set-aside at the edge of what was the 'carrot field'.  This strip of set-aside runs the whole length of the field and is at least 3 to 4 metres across.  It is incredibly rich with lots of Knapweed, Ox-eye Daisy and Red Clover.  In the area that I checked I counted 11 Meadow Browns, 2 Large Skipper, 4 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Green-veined Whites.  There were also 6 Cinnabar Moths and 5 Burnett Moths (6-Spot and Narrow-bordered 5 Spot).

I then walked back across the diagonal path through the gallops field.  In the small field between the gallops and Stanklyn Wood were 3 Mistle Thrushes and a Green Woodpecker.  2 Common Buzzards were soaring overhead. 


Stanklyn Lane set-aside















Six-Spot Burnett Moth















Narrow-bordered Five-Spot Burnett Moth















Green-veined Whites

2 comments: