Thursday 23rd June 2011 - Shenstone

There was no real change in the lack of bird activity on the patch today although a highlight was a partially eclipse drake Tufted Duck on Captains Pool.  This is an unseasonal record as they only tend to visit here in the autumn/winter months 3 juvenile Swallows were also over the pool.

There was a noticeable increase in the number of Ringlet butterflies in the Butts Lane area and I also recorded my first Essex Skipper of the year there.  Also of note in this area was good numbers of young Cinnabar Moth larvae feeding on the Ragwort.

Just for a bit of variety I have also included a few photos of some of the patch flora below.

Cinnabar Moth larvae on Ragwort















Great Willowherb (Epilobium hirsutum)



















Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)















Lords & Ladies (Arum maculatum)

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos on this and the last post Jason. I particularly like the Comma.

    Timothy Tortrix is my all time favourite moth name. You would think with a name like that it might be a bit more glamorous :)

    Your photo of Lords and Ladies reminds me how quickly the berries etc are colouring up already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading about ringlets on all the blogs Jase, hundreds at a time, but ive only ever had one tatty individual on my patch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shy, the name Toimothy Tortrix always amuses me too! Your right about the berries, I saw a Hawthorn on Friday that was already loaded with red berries!

    Patches are funny like that Warren. I'm desperately looking out for Purple Hairstreak at Shenstone to add to the patch list. There are good numbers of mature Oaks and Ash so I cant see why not.

    ReplyDelete