Saturday 19th March 2011 - Shenstone

I arrived at the patch on this glorious sunny day around mid-day. My first stop was Witch Lane to try and locate the 2 Curlew that TMH had found in the morning. There was no sign now but whilst on Witch Lane I recorded my first Red Admiral and first Peacock butterflies of the year. I had seen a ♂ Brimstone butterfly on the way to the patch but unfortunately it was outside my patch boundaries...ah well. Bird wise I saw 23 Linnets, 2 Common Buzzard and a pair of Kestrels whilst here.

Heath Lane was very quite and seemed almost bird less except for the Chiffchaff that was still present near the Islamic School playing fields.

I decided to check out the ploughed fields at Summerfield next. A large flock of c.120 Chaffinch were here. They were mostly feeding on the ground although some individuals were flycatching from the trees. I also saw another Peacock butterfly here.

My final stop was Butts Lane where I recorded 3 Corn Bunting, 5 Yellowhammer, a single Reed Bunting and a Common Buzzard. An area of Coltsfoot was in flower in the arable headland just off the public footpath.

Coltsfoot - 19th March 2011:




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of the Coltsfoots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob...thats the thing with working a local patch, you notice its beauty all around you from the birds and butterflies to the smallest of flowers

    ReplyDelete