Friday 28th January 2011 - Shenstone

I started today's visit at Witch Lane where 22 Skylarks were flitting about over the stubble field opposite the old grain store. A Linnet was perched up singing from a nearby tree (its amazing the difference a bit of sunshine makes). Whilst on Witch Lane I counted 118 Black-headed Gulls that flew over heading to the freshly ploughed field along the Driotwich Road. There was no sign of any Yellowhammers today and the field they had been favouring has now been ploughed, so they've probably moved on to pastures new.

Next stop was Butts Lane which seemed very quiet. 2 Common Buzzards were up soaring and a Goldcrest was showing well at the edge of the warbler scrub opposite Eastfields Farm. Try as I might I couldn't turn the bird into a Firecrest...ah well one day!

I then parked up on Stanklyn Lane and walked the beet field and across to summerfield and back. Again, there was no sign of any Corn Buntings and bird numbers in general seemed lower here today. Two of the fields next to the sheep field have now been ploughed...so the lack of stubble wont help. Of note on this walk I recorded 46 Linnet, 20 Chaffinch, 6 Greenfinch, 4 Pied Wagtails, 2 Stock Doves and a Song Thrush.

My final stop was Stanklyn Lane paddocks. These held 40 Redwing, 2 Fieldfare, 2 Goldfinch and a Pied Wagtail. The Redwings were then spooked by a Common Buzzard that landed on one of the fence posts.

7 Shoveller (3♂ & 4♀) were present on Captains Pool (TS).

Song Thrush - Summerfield, 28th Jan 2011:

2 comments:

  1. I also played spot the Firecrest Jase :-) 10 Goldcrest on my patch today, but I couldn't string one of 'em :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe...its a great game Warren but as yet one that hasn't reaped any rewards for me yet!

    ReplyDelete